In the UK and around the world, power generation is becoming less reliable, and people and companies are having to begin to look for alternatives when trying to offer the right power output to their devices and equipment.
Rather than solely relying on the country’s electricity grid, new power stations are emerging, and everyone is beginning to take the initiative. However, how do you know what suits your company and location?
Well, today, we’ll be going through a popular current option for businesses and homes—inverter generators—and explaining what they’re used for, how they can benefit you, and what the difference is between them and a traditional generator. Carry on reading to learn more!
What Are Inverter Generators?
Inverter generators are a type of portable power generator that is more compact than traditional generators and works by converting AC (Alternating Current) power into DC (Direct Current) power and then back into clean and stable AC power using a streamlined electronic circuit.
This process makes sure you have a constant and high-quality power output, making them ideal for many different environments.
This process is known for its clean and stable power output, portability, fuel efficiency, reduced noise level, longer run times, and ability to power sensitive electronics whenever they’re called upon.
What Are Inverter Generators Used For?
Inverter generators offer a variety of purposes due to their unique qualities, and because of their compact size, quiet operation, and clean power output, they are a valuable option for many sectors.
Home and Outdoors
They are most often used as reliable backup power sources in homes during power outages, ensuring that your appliances and lights continue to function. Not only that, but they are an ideal choice for outdoor lovers and campers due to their ability to power electronic devices, lights, and even portable fridges while maintaining a quiet camping atmosphere.
Additionally, construction sites often benefit from inverter generators as well, as they efficiently power tools and machinery while being easy to transport between job sites.
Parties and Events
Another place that may surprise you that is popular for inverter generators is parties and events. With the convenience of inverter generators, they can supply power for music, cooking equipment, and many more things around your home or venue.
Any Electronic Devices
Thanks to their low total harmonic distortion (THD), inverter generators protect any of your electronics, like laptops, smartphones, and televisions. This essentially means that the voltage will be less volatile, which would originally cause major problems for your electronics.
Caravans and Cabins
Finally, in remote or off-grid locations, these generators can function as your primary power source for your home, cabin, caravan, and many more, as they can deliver consistent electricity without needing any access to the national grid.
What Are the Benefits of Inverter Generators?
Now that you know the applications for which an inverter generator will do its best job, there are numerous benefits that an inverter generator can provide within the applications above. Let’s explore what you’ll experience if you install this type of generator:
- These generators provide you with clean and stable power output
- They are compact and portable to carry around to different places
- They use fuel-efficient technology to save you money
- Inverted generators have a reduced noise level, so wherever you are, you won’t cause any disruption
- They have longer run times on a single tank of fuel, so you won’t have to switch fuel tanks as often as other generators
- They have the ability to power your sensitive electronics safely
- They supply you with eco-friendly options, so there’s less environmental impact when using power
- They are versatile, as they’re suited for a wide range of applications, whether that be your backup power or primary energy source
These are some of the main advantages that you can expect if you make the decision to go ahead and purchase an inverter generator for your application.
What is the Difference Between a Power Generator and an Inverter?
The primary difference between a power generator and an inverter generator lies in how they generate and provide electricity to the application they’re placed in. Traditional power generators generate electricity through a mechanical process, whereas inverter generators, on the other hand, use a battery from an electronic circuit.
They initially generate AC power, similar to traditional generators, but then convert it into direct current (DC). After this, they use electronic components to switch the DC power back into clean and stable AC power. Here are a few factors that will show you the clear difference between the two in detail:
- Inverter generators produce cleaner and more stable power, making them suitable for sensitive electronics compared to traditional generators.
- Inverter generators are more compact and portable than traditional generators, making them easy for you to carry from location to location.
- Inverter generators tend to be more fuel-efficient, adjusting engine speed according to the required load.
- An inverter generator will work at lower noise levels, making it ideal for quieter environments.
- Traditional generators usually have longer run times, because they often have bigger output capacities.
- Standard generators tend to have a durable frame due to the sheer size of their structure.
- Normal generators can often power more appliances at once due to their weight, meaning they can carry more fuel in the tank.
Here are the standout differences between standard and inverter generators that you need to consider when choosing a generator for your domestic or residential property (or land).
Should You Invest in an Inverter Generator?
Whether you decide to invest in a traditional power generator or an inverter generator depends on your specific requirements. Therefore, if you need a portable power station for electronic equipment, an inverter generator will be the best choice.
On the other hand, if you need heavy-duty power generation for a large area, a traditional generator will most likely be the better option.
Yet, if you’re still undecided on what generator you should look at buying, we would suggest you speak to our team of specialists here at Pleavin Power. Instead of worrying about making the right decision, our team is gaining positive results for clients up and down the country and would love to help you make that all-important decision today—don’t hesitate to reach out!
Jack is the owner of Pleavin Power which was founded in 2017. He has worked in the power industry for over a decade and has an extreme focus on providing a quality service to clients across the UK. This has led Pleavin Power to becoming the market leader in the Critical, Prime & Standby Power markets.